Whenever I get questions about supplements it always makes me laugh because it leads to the same conversation every time, which is always revolved around fat burners or muscle builders.
And the reality is that these supplements do very little to improve your results, if anything at all.
Even though I am now aware of this, I’ll admit, I went through a supplement phase where I believed all this junk would help me get all the results I was looking for.
But when I finally decided to cut them all out to save the money, I realized how much I did not need them at all. This led to me having very minimal supplements at all, I would say 3-4 main products I wouldn’t go without and a few extra workout supplements that are not needed but can definitely help the process [ Things like Creatine, BCAA’s, & Beta Alanine ].
One thing I will say about my experience with supplements is that it taught me a ton of knowledge of what supplements actually can bring us benefit and what is pure bull shit that the fitness nutrition industry is throwing our way just to make money.
At the end of the day, all the marketing tactics of these brands are clearly working because when people, included myself, see “Hardcore”, “Shredded”, or “Insane Pumps” on the products they immediately buy into it.
So what is the truth about supplements? The truth is simple, they Supplement your progress and results. In fact better said, the CAN Supplement your results.
So which ones actually work and are worth your penny?
The ones you probably wouldn’t have expected at all to be honest, but today I will give you my personal top 3 supplements everyone should be taking.
I believe in these enough to honestly say that I don’t go a day without them unless traveling and even then I usually have them with me. These supplements are for anyone and any goal you want to achieve, whether it is muscle gain, fat loss or strictly performance.
In my opinion, these are the Top 3 Most Under Rated Supplements that will create the most fat loss, lean muscle mass, performance/strength abilities possible, and general health as well.
1.) Green Superfood [ Link Here ]
– This is essentially a micronized veggie powder supplement that you drink with some water or beverage of your choice really.
This is my number one for a reason, it is hugely important and I truly feel unbelievably better off with this in my daily diet. So I start my day every single morning with this shake and here’s why:
- This supplies all the green vegetables, along with the nutritious colorful ones as well, that you aren’t getting a sufficient amount of in your current diet. We all know the importance of veggies, not only for fat loss but also for general health, so this is going to give you them all!
- Probiotics are a hugely important factor in ones diet to improve gut health and the absorption of nutrients and this supplies a solid daily dose in each serving.
- Digestive Enzymes are another key factor in ones gut health and achieving proper digestion. Many people actually do not digest as well as they should be and even if you do have a healthy digestion, having some extra enzymes to help the process definitely doesn’t hurt!
- Detoxing our system is a good way to ensure we aren’t holding onto bad toxins we allow into our body. We can get toxins into the system not only from food or alcohol we are consuming, but from lotions and chemicals that come in touch with our bodies regularly. This greens supplement has a great detox blend of extracts and minerals that do the trick very well. Having this done on a regular basis can allow proper liver, kidney, prostate, and other organs to function optimally.
- Last but not least, the antioxidants available in this supplement are great and in a high quantity. So instead of getting the carbs and calories from eating a ton of fruits and finding different vitamins to get them all, you can simply take down this shake. This will lead to great health and a better immune system, which we can all benefit from not only by staying away from getting sick but better performance in the gym as well.
2.) Krill/Fish Oil (EPA/DHA) [ Link Here! ]
-Either or works, the point is to get the fat source in your daily diet whether that be from Krill or Fish. It is important to get an organic source of this as farmed fish can be contaminated with tons of stuff you don’t even want to know about and the majority of pesticides and chemicals have been shown to stick to fat within the animal. So when it comes to organic product, meats and fatty foods can be the most crucial to stick too. Anyway… you may be wondering what the benefits of taking these supplements are, so let me break them down now:
- EPA and DHA have been shown to increase brain activity and I don’t believe I need to explain why this can be a good thing!
- Heart health is well known benefit of fish/krill oils. It has been shown to improve function and the avoidance of cardiovascular diseases.
- Fat loss is one of the people’s favorites when it comes to these oils benefits. The effect it has on fat loss is big and comes from many reasons from hormonal/metabolic improvement to muscular function to insulin sensitivity.
- It has been said that this supplement can also increase your immunity, which is great for many different reasons. Studies are still being performed to confirm this 100%, but it is looking promising.
- It will decrease inflammation and aid in further joint lubrication, leading to less inflammation going forward.
- The benefits go on and on from tissue quality, improved vision, anti-depression, skin care, insulin sensitivity, etc.
As you should be able to tell, this is a kill two birds with one stone type of supplement… actually, more like kill 18 birds with one stone! This is another one I do not go without, ever!
I typically will prescribe around 5-6,000mg of the oil (5-6g of fat) at first, depending on the clients weight. After about 2-3 weeks we can lower the dosage to about 3-4,000mg to maintain.
3.) MCT Oil (Multi Chain Triglycerides) [ Link Here! ]
–MCT’s are a type of fat that is found in coconuts, and MCT Oil is the extracted version derived from the coconuts. The benefits may not be as many as the supplements above, but the benefits this supplement do have are guaranteed to pack a big punch!
- Energy is one of the most well known of the benefits this supplement has, especially in the low carb diet realm. MCT’s are not metabolized like typical fats; instead they are processed much faster via the liver just as carbohydrates are. So when you’re going low carb or saving carbs for your post workout window, this is a great addition to your pre-workout coffee or meal to add in some great energy.
- Improved Blood Sugar Regulation is one of my favorite reasons for this supplement as this directly links to our ability to handle carbs in our diet making them broken down easier, which in turn leads to better fat loss and less fat gain!
- Improved Metabolism is my second favorite following the blood sugar, as this is hugely important to me as a nutrition coach. When I create diets for clients, metabolism improvement and speed is one of my biggest goal as I know this will lead to the ability to handle more calories which means better training and better results.
- Enhanced Ketone production is the benefit of this supplement that is similar to EPA/DHA in the fact that this will increase brain function and activity. It can also lead to more and better energy in this aspect as well.
- Studies have not confirmed, but it has been said that this can help improve thyroid function, which can directly improve many other hormones in the body.
- Last but not least, this can improve appetite regulation. This is a result of the improved blood sugar regulation and metabolism.
So there you have it, my Top 3 Under Rated Supplements!
Now instead of wasting your money on fat burners and all the bogus workout supplements on the market today, go with the natural ones I have listed and actually receive the benefits YOU deserve!
All the links provided, along with the Onnit banner on my sidebar, go straight to my most trusted brand and if you read on the site, you’ll see why I trust them so much!